Protect a coal mine donkey
Bring light to the lives of donkeys working in darkness.
Deep in mines, where the air is thick with dust, it can be hard for a donkey to breathe. Pitted, uneven tunnels can cause them to lose their footing and heavy, poorly fitted harnesses can rub painfully, causing sores.
This gift can help a qualified Brooke-trained vet treat the injuries that affect a coal mine donkey, as well as teach good care and welfare practices to their owners, so they can look after their animals better.
Protect a coal mine donkey is in the 'Industry' category.
Product code: KJ07
How we spend your money and make your gift do more
We hope you enjoy browsing through Brooke Shop and picking out the perfect gifts for the people in your life. Your kind purchase will help us care for working animals all over the world. We’d like to explain how.
We’ll spend your money where it’s most needed
When you buy a gift from Brooke Shop, you’re supporting our vital work for animals. Brooke Shop gifts are divided into five categories (see below). The funds we raise from your gift will directly support projects in that category.
- Tourism and industry: The dangers working animals face are largely hidden from public view. Your gift means that we can ease the suffering of horses, donkeys and mules working in harsh conditions such as coal mines and brick kilns.
- Communities: You’ll help owners improve the welfare of their animals. Not only will gifts in this category change the way owners look after their animals, they will also unlock owners’ compassion to create long-term change.
- Future proofing: We’re always looking at new and innovative ways to improve the lives of working animals. Your gift will help owners adopt sustainable animal welfare practices, and build resilience for the future.
- Policy change: Your gift will help us put the role of working horses, mules and donkeys on the agendas of local and national governments. We also strive to create change globally via international organisations. This advocacy work is vital to ensure our work is sustainable at all levels.
- East Africa: Many people in this region depend on their working horses, donkeys and mules for their livelihoods. These animals transport water and people in rural areas, as well as working in industries such as construction. Your gift will help us connect with both owners and wider communities, providing them with essential knowledge and key welfare skills.